In July 2021, Bloomberg reported that one of the most anticipated PlayStation 5 exclusives, Horizon Forbidden West, has been delayed and will now release in the first quarter of 2022. We haven’t received any official confirmation from Sony about this yet.
However, on July 20, 2021, PlayStation Germany published a blog post for the games coming in the second half of 2021 (this year) on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 consoles – and sadly, Horizon Forbidden West is not on the list. While this gives the original report some credibility, keep in mind that these listed games already have confirmed release dates which Horizon Forbidden West does not as of right now. Sony did state that the game is on track to be released in 2021.
— PlayStationDE (@PlayStationDE) August 9, 2021
Below, you can find all the games list in the PlayStation Blog article along with the release dates:
- Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut (August 20, 2021 – PS5)
- Aliens: Fireteam Elite (August 24, 2021 – PS4, PS5)
- Life is Strange: True Colors (September 10, 2021 – PS4, PS5)
- Tales of Arise (September 10, 2021 – PS4, PS5)
- Deathloop (September 14, 2021 – PS5)
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits (September 21, 2021 – PS4, PS5)
- Battlefield 2042 (October 22, 2021 – PS4, PS5)
- Ghost runner (October 27, 2021 – PS5)
- Grand Theft Auto V (November 11, 2021 – PS5)
In June 2021, Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios, stated, in a Q&A article, that Horizon Forbidden West is still scheduled to be released during the 2020 holiday season. “For Horizon, we think we are on track to release this holiday season,” Hulst said. “But that isn’t quite certain yet, and we’re working as hard as we can to confirm that to you as soon as we can.”
If the rumors of the next State of Play in September 2021 are correct, it’s possible that we’ll get an official confirmation for Horizon Forbidden West 2022 delay before that.