A new report claims Bungie developers kept working on Shattered Cycle and future Destiny 2 content even after leadership had already decided to end live-service support.
Bungie’s announcement this week hit Destiny fans hard. The studio confirmed that Destiny 2’s final live-service content update, Monument of Triumph, will launch on June 9, 2026, bringing an end to active development for the game after years of expansions and seasonal updates. The game will stay online, but the days of Destiny 2 getting regular new content are coming to an end.
The aftermath has only made the situation feel worse for players and, reportedly, people inside Bungie. Reports have claimed that Bungie is planning “significant” layoffs after the June 9 update, while Destiny 3 is not currently in development. There are also reportedly no other Destiny-related projects greenlit at the studio right now.

Now, one of the more frustrating details to come out of this week’s reporting is about Shattered Cycle, the now-canceled Destiny 2 expansion that was originally set to release in summer 2026. According to new details, work on future Destiny 2 content, including Shattered Cycle, was still happening even after Bungie leadership had already decided earlier this year to end live-service support.
Bungie Reportedly Kept Most Employees In The Dark About Destiny 2’s Live Service End
The new information comes from Paul Tassi at Forbes, who shared more details from inside Bungie after the studio’s announcement. According to the report, the decision to end Destiny 2 support and move at least some resources over to Marathon was made earlier this year.
The problem is that most of Bungie reportedly did not know that the decision had been made until the public announcement on Thursday this week. That means some developers were still working on content that, internally, no longer had a future.
Tassi’s report says: “Work continued on future Destiny 2 content, including future expansions like Shattered Cycle, and did not stop immediately when this decision was made.”

The report also claims that some teams did know what was coming. These included people working on the final June update and some developers who had already moved over to Marathon. Those teams reportedly “begged” leadership to tell more people because keeping so many employees in the dark created division inside the studio and left those who knew feeling isolated.
Fans are already reacting to what this might mean for unfinished Destiny 2 content. One player wrote on Reddit, “RIP to all the bits of partially finished Shattered Cycle content that will sit unplayed in a Bungie hard drive somewhere for eternity.”
Another said, “Damn, so there’s almost certainly an unfinished raid we may never get to play unless we get D3. Sad.” A third fan added, “Such a shame we’ll never see it… Devs just need to ‘leak’ modding tools and let the community keep the game alive indefinitely.”

Shattered Cycle wasn’t the only expansion that was already officially confirmed by Bungie. Last year, the developer also announced the fourth expansion in the Fate saga called “The Alchemist,” which was supposed to come out in Winter 2026, now been canceled as well.
This also comes as reports say Destiny 3 is neither in production nor greenlit, and that Sony is cautious about funding such a large project right now. A fan petition asking Sony to develop Destiny 3 has also taken off, passing 130,000 signatures in less than two days.
For now, Bungie has not announced a future Destiny game. Destiny 2’s final live-service update arrives on June 9, and after that, the franchise’s future looks more uncertain than ever.

What are your thoughts on the future of Destiny and Bungie as a whole? Let us know in the comments below!
Don't miss the big stories. Make us your preferred source on Google to get breaking news, leaks, and exclusives first.
