Illuminated Torment is the first challenge in the Root of Nightmares raid. As such, it is for the first encounter in the raid, that is Cataclysm. While this challenge can seem a bit too complicated on paper, it really a simple and straightforward challenge once you have the rhythm going.
Just like any other recent raids in Destiny 2, completing the Illuminated Torment challenge the Master difficulty will drop an Adept weapon for completing the challenge during the week it’s active. Bungie has already confirmed that players will be able to upgrade and enhance the weapon perks on the Adept raid weapons from the Root of Nightmares.
Now, let’s see how you can complete the Illuminated Tornment challenge in Destiny 2 quickly and easily.
Illuminated Torment Challenge in Root of Nightmares
As the name suggests, players must only kill the Tormentors during each phase of the encounter if they have the Field of Light buff. In simple terms, the player who gets the final shot at the Tormentor must have the Field of Light buff, else it will fail the challenge and you would have to start again. The only to fail this challenge is if you kill the Tormentor without the Field of Light buff.
|Illuminated Torment||Players can only kill Tormentors while having the Field of Light buff||Cataclysm|
The best and easiest way to complete this challenge is to have 1 runner who is connecting the Light orbs throughout the encounter and the rest of the 5 players on ad clear duty and killing Tormentors.
How this works is, the person who is running has to call out the orb’s location (left, middle, right, etc.) and the rest of the Fireteam quickly head over, shoot the orb and grab the Field of Light buff. That way, everyone on the Fireteam will have the buff, and the chances of failing the encounter would be a lot less.
Pro Tip: Have as many Warlocks with Well of Radiance as possible for survivability.
While, it’s definitely possible to kill the Tormentors in one go after getting the Light buff, however, for a much safer strategy, here’s what you need to do. Instead of killing the Tormentor, you leave it with just a little health. That way, you could finish it in the next phase, when the runner goes to the far right side to get the first buff in each phase. This way, it’s easier for most players to just call out when the reset is happening.
Weapons and Armor Recommendation
Since this encounter requires you to kill Tormentors, which can be pretty beefy if you accidentally miss your shots. However, some weapons will make this job a lot easier. Here’s a list of our recommended weapons for killing the Tormentors as quickly as possible.
- Divinity: One player should be on the Divinity job. When the Tormentor spawns, shoot its shoulders first, and afterward, you can use Divinity to create a giant crit spot for the rest of the Fireteam to finish.
- Sleeper Simulant: Sleeper Simulant (Heavy Linear Fusion Rifle) is an excellent option for melting Tormentors, with the added support of Divinity.
- Izanagi’s Burden: Another great option for Tormentors is Izanagi’s Burden (Kinetic Sniper Rifle) which can do some real damage with its Honed Edge x4 shots.
- Machine Guns: If you’re running Izanagi’s Burden, you can use a god roll machine gun in the heavy slot. Something like Corrective Measure from the Vault of Glass raid, which does solid DPS as well.
- Well of Radiance: Having too many Well of Radiance Warlocks will never be a problem, especially in the Master difficulty raids.
Illuminated Torment Challenge Adept Reward
For completing the Illuminated Torment challenge on the Master difficulty Root of Nightmares, you will unlock Mykel’s Reverence Adept sidearm. Mykel’s Reverence is a Strand Rapid-Fire frame sidearm, which means it shoots Full Auto.
Destiny 2 Lightfall is now available on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.