“Almost All” Of Bungie Reportedly Didn’t Know Destiny 2 Was Ending Active Development Until It Was Announced

Image: Bungie via The Game Post

A new report claims “almost all” of Bungie did not know Destiny 2 was ending active development until the announcement went public.

Bungie’s announcement that Destiny 2 is ending active development landed hard across the community. The studio confirmed that the game’s final live-service content update, Monument of Triumph, will arrive on June 9, 2026, marking the end of Destiny 2’s regular development cycle after nearly nine years.

The reaction from fans has been what you’d expect, mostly emotional and frustrated. Some players are sad to see the game reach this point, while others are angry over how sudden the announcement felt, especially after the promised roadmap and the state of the game blog.

Destiny 2 players are convinced Renegades is quietly teasing the new Darkness subclass
Image: Bungie

A lot of fans are wondering if Bungie communicated this decision internally or if the staffers found out about this alongside fans. And, now it appears we have an answer.

Majority of Bungie Reportedly Learned About Destiny 2’s End Alongside Fans

That question came up on X after a fan tagged Bungie principal communications manager Dylan “dmg04” Gafner and asked how early the news had been communicated internally. The fan said they understood there may have been business reasons to keep things quiet, but they were curious how long people at Bungie had known before the public announcement.

Paul Tassi of Forbes responded to that discussion with a pretty direct claim. According to Tassi, most of Bungie was not aware of the decision before it was announced publicly yesterday.

“Almost all of Bungie did not know about this until it was announced,” Tassi said in a post on X.

That is a major detail, if accurate. In other words, many Bungie employees may have found out about the end of Destiny 2’s active development around the same time as players did.

"Almost All" Of Bungie Reportedly Didn’t Know Destiny 2 Was Ending Active Development Until It Was Announced
Image: X

That would explain why the news felt so abrupt. It also raises more questions about how this decision was handled internally, especially for the teams that spent the recent months planning the upcoming update, and the two already-announced expansions, Shattered Cycle and The Alchemist, both of which are now cancelled.

The timing also comes as reports claim Bungie is planning significant layoffs following the end of Destiny 2 development. On top of that, Destiny 3 is reportedly not in active development right now, and there is said to be no new greenlit project ready for the Destiny 2 team to move into.

So yes, the current picture is rough. Destiny 2’s live-service future is ending, and layoffs may be coming.

"Cannot apologize enough for the delay": Bungie addresses Destiny 2’s missing roadmap, says team is focused on "immediate and long-term future"
Image: Bungie

What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Don't miss the big stories. Make us your preferred source on Google to get breaking news, leaks, and exclusives first.

Some links on The Game Post are affiliate links, meaning we may earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Learn more in our Affiliate Policy.