Bungie had five or six games in development at one point, with most falling apart after Sony’s $3.6 billion acquisition, according to a new report.
Bungie has spent the past few months shrinking its workforce. Destiny 2 received its final live-service content update on June 9, 2026, and Sony followed on June 25 with another round of layoffs affecting most of the Destiny team and some Marathon staff. Bungie said its future projects were still in early incubation, which is a rough place to be after repeated cuts.
Marathon hasn’t given Sony the clean reset it wanted either. While Sony has been supporting the game publicly, the player numbers keep declining to the point where the game’s just hovering above 1,000 concurrent players on Steam during non-peak hours.

Additionally, Marathon’s game director Joe Ziegler also left Bungie last month. Bungie has since been testing a possible PvE pivot through Vault Breaker, an experimental mode added on July 21 and later extended through August 18. The mode produced a temporary player bump.
Now, Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier has put a number on just how many bets Bungie once had running at the same time.
Bungie Games in Development: Up to Six Projects Were Once in the Pipeline
In a new video about PlayStation’s live-service push, Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier said Bungie had “five or six different projects” happening during this wider expansion period. Sony bought Bungie for $3.6 billion in 2022 and openly pointed to the studio’s live-service expertise as part of the deal.
“As part of that acquisition, Bungie also had a whole bunch of other live service games in the works that Sony wanted to see come out in the subsequent years in addition to, of course, Destiny 2, which is Bungie’s big ongoing project,” Schreier said.
“But for a variety of reasons that I will get into in a story down the road, most of those projects fell apart. I believe there were five or six different projects that were happening. Some of them did come out.”
Schreier doesn’t name the full lineup in the video, so take the exact six-project lineup with a grain of salt. Based on various reports over the past few years, we’ve compiled a list of projects Bungie appears to have had in development at one point or another:
- Matter: Bungie’s mysterious new IP, reportedly canceled in 2020 before Sony acquired the studio.
- Destiny: Rising: A mobile Destiny spin-off developed and published by NetEase Games in collaboration with Bungie, released in 2025.
- Marathon: Bungie’s extraction shooter revival, released in 2026 and still being actively supported.
- Project Sunspot: A reported Destiny spin-off that was canceled in 2023.
- Standalone Destiny 3v3 PvP game
- Destiny 2
- Project Payback: A third-person Destiny spin-off reportedly inspired by games such as Warframe and Genshin Impact, canceled in 2024.
- Project Gummy Bears: An incubation project that survived Bungie’s restructuring by moving to Sony. The team behind it was spun out into teamLFG in 2024, where the game remains in development.

The timing makes the list messy. Matter was reportedly killed in 2020, two years before Sony bought Bungie, while Sunspot and Payback disappeared later as the studio’s expansion plans started collapsing.
Destiny: Rising made it out through NetEase, and Gummy Bears survived by leaving Bungie entirely for Sony’s teamLFG. That leaves Marathon as the clearest example of a project from Bungie’s wider push that actually stayed inside the studio and reached release. The six names line up with years of reporting, but Schreier hasn’t confirmed that these are the exact projects behind his “five or six” figure.
The obvious missing name is Destiny 3. Schreier reported in May that Bungie had no immediate plan to put Destiny 3 into production and no specific new project greenlit for the outgoing Destiny 2 team. So anyone counting Destiny 3 as a secret seventh game is getting ahead of the evidence.

As for what comes next, the remaining Destiny developers are reportedly pitching new game ideas to Sony in hopes of getting another project greenlit. Nothing has been announced yet, and Marathon’s current performance makes the stakes much higher than they were a few years ago.
Bungie’s next approved project won’t just decide what the studio makes after Destiny, it could decide how much of Bungie is left to make it.

Which of Bungie’s cancelled or spun-out projects would you have wanted to see survive, and should Destiny 3 be the studio’s next game? Let us know in the comments.
Don't miss the big stories. Make us your preferred source on Google to get breaking news, leaks, and exclusives first.
